Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Covid May18...it’s only words...

I’ve decided to take some time to reflect. I felt like was getting to the point of no return. https://youtu.be/2v8YragSIuI . My Covid story began in early March when I attended our annual Pacific Dental Conference. Covid was on the rise overseas but wasn’t taken as seriously at home, in Vancouver, British Columbia . I remember walking in and asking my friend, what do you think?  Are we even supposed to be here? Looking around I noticed it was like every year, busy. It was an event that we dental people get to reunite with colleagues and friends.

Soon after it FINALLY caught the attention of Dr.Bonnie at the CDC. A bit of drama there.😒 I believe they were not aware of the annual international event. I believe it came to light when a dentist tested positive for Covid. He attended the day after I went but the CDC required us to all self quarantine regardless, which I totally understood. I was living in silent fear. My anxiety became a regular constant for me. I guess it just continued from there. This has not been a good time.

I live in a very tiny Yaletown apartment with my roommate where there is no way to avoid each other unless I locked my self in the bathroom. Headphones became a new extension of my head. Always attached from when I wake up until  6 pm. I followed instructions and stayed home except for when I need to get food or walk my dog.
I am one who has struggled with mental illness for years, so these days have been the most challenging. Since Covid I thought I felt I completely lost my identity. I had no idea how to respond to this? I think, when I look back that I may have panicked. I didn’t work that much to begin with, (usually 3 shifts a week ) but the fear of going back to work scared me the most.

Will I ever be employed again, the way it used to be, or do I have to find an entirely new career? You see, I’m a ‘temp’, which means I’m last to get work. Offices had to lay off so much staff and now with the new protocols in place I fear I will lose work for many years. Plus I am a man in a female dominated field. So all these aspects have got my mind on overdrive.

So now that I had the opportunity to take a productive, much needed break I have been able to clear the clutter in my head and just enjoy the personal positives of Covid, which I believe there are.

I baked. I never bake, even if it’s from a box; ( Yes, it was banana bread ), and lemon loafs. Croissants, too. Thank you, Pilsbury dough boy. 🥐 Stepped completely out of my box and even painted my nails! ...AND I am half way through a book! Wha, what!? 😁
The book is called, “ Be The Space “, by Matt Landsiedel. It’s a much needed wake up call that I think everyone can benefit from especially during these unbalanced times. ( Thank you, Matt🙏🏽 )
Gardening is VERY NEW to me. Green lifestyle but not a green thumb!
Even though these are simple things for a lot of people but for me this is therapy. I have never felt so “normal”, for lack of a better word. I will admit I still have a lot more to work on but my spirts are up and I am more than hopeful now.

So here I am sitting in my happy place with only sounds of the warm breeze and nature, oh , and a couple ‘ bear bangers’ which are like firecrackers to scare bears away...and me! Lol. 🤯😱
My “ bubble” is lovely.

Thanks to my ‘ bubble family’, I couldn’t be more grateful for this.






Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar